Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC
Date
List pgsql-general
Martin Gainty wrote:
> true
> scott was asking if you can utilise the same JDBC Type IV DB
> connection for both
> the original DB connection and utilise that same connection to connect
> to another
> DB (with a fresh set of database parameters)
> my answer is i do not know of a way to use the same connection for 2
> different DB's
> but perhaps a vendor/contractor/consultant such as yourself may know
> of connection mechanism which would dynamically switch the original
> connection from old DB parameters to new DB parameters?

and, for the 3rd time, one connection == one database.  you close that
connection and open a new one to connect to a different database or as a
different user.  thats how postgresql works, it has no other way of
doing that.  this is independent of JDBC, its an inherent design
characteristic of the database server.