Re: How to speed up the first-time-searching in pgsql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: How to speed up the first-time-searching in pgsql?
Date
List pgsql-general
zxo102 ouyang wrote:
> Hi there,
> Thanks for your suggestions. I do have an application running on the machine
> all the time. In fact, the application keeps writing real-time monitoring
> data into the database. Based on my understanding of your messages, I can't
> do anything to speed up the first-time-searching. Probably I can give a
> waiting process bar to the users and let them wait for the results.

No, I think you missed the detail on some of the answers. There are
limitations (as discussed in the answers), but the simple suggestion in
the first answer will probably help a lot.

Set up a scheduled task to run a big search of the database an hour
before people start work. This can be as simple as a .BAT file running
"SELECT * FROM big_table" triggered by Windows' Task Scheduler.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd