Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Aidan Van Dyk <aidan@highrise.ca> writes:
>
>> This has been raised and ignored many times before on -hackers... The
>> reason is because the tags in the CVS repository are "broken" (i.e they
>> are such that it's impossible to actually create all the tags), so the
>> git "cvsimport" tools that try to tags all croak on the PG CVS repository.
>>

>> The tool which doesn't croak doesn't try and import all the tags, just
>> the sticky "branch tags"...
>>

>> Scripts to "fix" (actually, remove) the broken tags have also been
>> posted, along with requests that if somebody is "mucking" with the
>> actual repository, to make sure it's known about, and access is "denied"
>> during the mucking period (access being any rsync/anoncvs/mirroring of
>> the cvs root).
>>

> Up to now I've always been of the opinion that fixing those tags wasn't
> worth taking any risk for.  But if we are thinking of moving away from
> CVS, then this clearly becomes one of the hurdles we have to jump on the
> way.  Can you refresh our memory about which tags are problematic and
> exactly what needs to be done about 'em?

I think we need just to remove the two tags in question (they have long
been irrelevant). Prudence suggests that we should do that some time
(weeks, I think) after the 8.4 release, when reverting ,if we find any
breakage, won't be too painful.

cheers

andrew