Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Up to now I've always been of the opinion that fixing those tags wasn't
>> worth taking any risk for.  But if we are thinking of moving away from
>> CVS, then this clearly becomes one of the hurdles we have to jump on the
>> way.

> I think we need just to remove the two tags in question (they have long
> been irrelevant). Prudence suggests that we should do that some time
> (weeks, I think) after the 8.4 release, when reverting ,if we find any
> breakage, won't be too painful.

I don't see a lot of point in waiting till after 8.4.0.  There is no
time, ever, where we are sure there will be no release for weeks ---
a security or data-loss bug could crop up at any time.  And not messing
up back branch update releases is even more important than not messing
up 8.4.0, because the back branches are much more likely to get dropped
straight into production.

Obviously we want a solid backup of the pre-modification CVS repository,
and we have to follow Aidan's advice about synchronizing the change with
mirror repositories, but I don't see a strong argument for waiting weeks
to do this.  I think we should get it over with, so people can get on
with the work that it's blocking.