Re: Help with join syntax sought - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: Help with join syntax sought
Date
List pgsql-general
James B. Byrne wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 16:41, Andy Colson wrote:
>
>> If your query above is getting you mostly what you want, just use it
>> as a derived table.
>>

> I lack the experience to understand what this means.
>
> If, as you suggest, I use a subquery as the expression to the main
> SELECT and for it I use the syntax that returns every distinct
> combination of base, quote, timestamp, and type, then what?
>
> Unless I am missing something then I still have too many rows for
> those currencies with more than one type.

I was not offering a specific answer, just another tool you could use to
massage the data more.  What I'm saying is, with that first query you
got the data into a new format....  Think of that result set as a table
itself.

As if you had done:

create table tmp (lots of field);
insert into tmp select (that big query you first posted)

now can you select from tmp to get your answer?  Once again, I may be
leading you down the wrong path, and as I said before I don't know your
data/layouts, and I didn't study your sql very much.

-Andy