Re: postgresql on windows98 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: postgresql on windows98
Date
List pgsql-general
Bill Moran wrote:

>>     but i need to run postgresql on windows98. Many of our clients are
>> working on windows98 :(.
>>  Any way out for this?
>
> No.  The correct answer to this question is "you can't do this, and if
> you figure out a hack to make it work, you will be sorry that you did."

Well, the perhaps more generous answer is "try cygwin" - there's a
PostgreSQL package for it and it appears to be 8.2.9 (which isn't too
old although see if there's the latest 8.2 available).

However, assuming anyone running Windows 98 is doing so on hardware from
2000 or earlier, you've probably got at best 256MB of RAM and an aging
disk too. It's going to be slow, and when the hardware goes wrong you're
probably going to get database corruption. You might well get it when
Windows crashes too.

If you do get things running, you'll want to tune the database quite
carefully to avoid bringing the system to a halt with one big query.
You'll also want to ensure backups are taken on a regular basis.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd