Re: increase index performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Thomas Finneid
Subject Re: increase index performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
First off, is there a  way to pre-filter some of this data, by a view,
temporary table, partitioned indexes or something.

Secondly, one of the problems seems to be the size of the data and its
index, how can I calulate how much space a particular part of the index
needs in memory? maybe I could rearrange things a bit better so it
better first inside pages and so on.

Thirdly I was a bit unclear and this was the best example I could think
of (my client probably dont want me to talk about this at all... hence
the contrived example):

        85 city_ids,
        2000 street_ids per city,
        10 house_ids per street
        500 floor_ids per house

Now it should have the correct data distribution and the correct
cardinality.

In this particular query I am interested in all streets in a city that
have the specific house id and the specific floor id.

By specifying
    city_id, house_id and floor_id

I should get all street_ids that matches

The example you gave Greg assumed I wanted to follow cardinality, but I
need to skip the second field in order to get the right query. So
pulling the data based on the two first fields, City and Street would
just give me data for a single street, when I want it for all streets.