Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
 Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
  Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
 Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  ("Fernando Hevia", )
  Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
 Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (PFC, )
  Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
   Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
     Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner, )
      Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Greg Stark, )

Paolo Rizzi wrote:
>>> Are you saying that PostgreSQL+PostGIS can actually run on a
>>> smartphone??? Intriguing...
>>> Did anyone ever actually tried that???
>>
>> If it's a supported CPU type and you've got a suitable build toolchain,
>> sure.  Seven or eight years ago we were getting a good laugh out of the
>> fact that you could run PG on a PlayStation 2.
> Good to know!!! I imagine that on a PS3 it would be _really_ fast... :-)

well not really - while it is fairly easy to get postgresql running on a
PS3 it is not a fast platform. While the main CPU there is a pretty fast
Power based core it only has 256MB of Ram and a single SATA disk
available(though you could add some USB disks).

Stefan