Re: A question about RAISE NOTICE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: A question about RAISE NOTICE
Date
List pgsql-general
Luigi N. Puleio wrote:

> and this function is fired when I modify a view's field which as a RULE INSTEAD DO where it calls this function. The
resultI'd like would be to notice me with a on-display message with a window having an OK button (like when I use
EXCEPTION).which would tell me the condition is verified....

Nothing in PostgreSQL displays windows. Presumably you're using some
application development environment or database interface tool, and when
it gets an error while executing a statement it displays an error dialog.

Most programs will not be aware of notice messages. Unlike error
messages there's no provision for them in standard JDBC/ODBC/etc APIs,
and you have to specifically ask the client driver for them. Unless your
app is aware of PostgreSQL specifically, it won't be doing that.

If you're developing yourself using JDBC or similar directly, there are
some options. If you're using something like MS Access, you're probably
stuffed; consider doing things like appending records to message tables
and polling the contents instead. It's ugly, but so are most database
interface RAD tools.

--
Craig Ringer