"No transaction in progress" warning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Conrad Lender
Subject "No transaction in progress" warning
Date
Re: "No transaction in progress" warning  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Hello.

We've recently discovered a bug in our code that resulted in COMMITs
without BEGINs, and our client saw "no transaction in progress" warnings
in his log file. What worries me is that we didn't discover this problem
during development - the warning doesn't show up in our logs. We're both
using 8.3, and the settings in both postgresql.conf files are similar
(except for memory settings and file locations).

SHOW log_min_messages;
 log_min_messages
 notice
(1 row)

I thought this would cause all warnings to be logged automatically. When
I enter "COMMIT" in psql, I do get the warning, but I don't see it in
the log file. What could be the problem?

Thanks,
  - Conrad