Re: 15x slower PreparedStatement vs raw query - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alex
Subject Re: 15x slower PreparedStatement vs raw query
Date
Re: 15x slower PreparedStatement vs raw query
List pgsql-performance
Shouldn't this process be automatic based on some heuristics?

Saving 10ms planning but costing 14s execution is catastrophic.

For example, using some statistics to limit planner time to some percent of of previous executions.
This way, if query is fast, planning is fast, but if query is slow, more planning can save huge execution time.
This is a better general usage option and should be enabled by default, and users who want fast planning should set the variable to use the generic plan.

Justin Pryzby wrote:

On Sun, May 02, 2021 at 07:45:26PM +0000, Alex wrote:

PreparedStatement: 15s
Raw query with embedded params: 1s
See issue on github with query and explain analyze:

| ..PostgreSQL Version?  12
|Prepared statement
|Planning Time: 11.596 ms
|Execution Time: 14799.266 ms
|
|Raw statement
|Planning Time: 22.685 ms
|Execution Time: 1012.992 ms

The prepared statemnt has 2x faster planning time, which is what it's meant to
improve.

The execution time is slower, and I think you can improve it with this.

--
Justin