Re: windows doesn't notice backend death - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: windows doesn't notice backend death
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> FWIW, this certainly used to work. So we've either broken this recently,
>> or it's always been broken on Vista (I've never tried it myself on
>> Vista, only 2000, XP and 2003).
>>

> Maybe a quick check if it still works on non-Vista versions would be
> in order, to eliminate one or the other of those theories.

Well, I can tell you that it is getting an exit code of 1, which is why
the postmaster isn't restarting.

That raises two questions in my mind. First, is that the behaviour we
expect when we kill the backend this way? And second, why is it still
showing up in the output of pg_stat_activity?

Meanwhile, I guess I can try to create a loadable function that will
crash a backend badly so I can try to reproduce my client's problem.

cheers

andrew