Re: UHC as a server encoding? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: UHC as a server encoding?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Chuck McDevitt wrote:
> Why are certain character encodings not legal for the server_encoding?
>
> For example, we allow EUC_KR, but disallow UHC, which is a superset of EUC_KR.
>
> What are the rules for what is or is not allowed as server_encoding?

A server-encoding must have the property that all but the first byte of
a multi-byte character have the high bit set. IOW, by looking at an
arbitrary byte in a string, you must be able to tell if it's part of a
multi-byte character or an independent single byte character.