Re: idea: global temp tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: idea: global temp tables
Date
Re: idea: global temp tables  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I am thinking about global temp tables.
>>

> These would have some value to us.
>
> In case anyone doesn't know, this is a feature in the SQL standard.
> You have a permanent definition of the schema, but the table is
> materialized as a temporary table on reference by any connection.
>
> I can't speak to the practicality of the proposed implementation
> techniques.

Using a global table to achieve schema-persistent temp tables seems like
a horrid hack - what would you do if the table used a type other than a
standard built-in type?

Or perhaps Pavel doesn't really mean "global" as the term is used in
Postgres (c.f. the pg_database table)?

cheers

andrew