plpgsql function running long, but resources consumption is very low

From: Wojtek
Subject: plpgsql function running long, but resources consumption is very low
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Hi,

I'm having serious performance problems with my two plpgsql functions
(lots of calculations inside, including distance (lat,long) using
earthdistance etc).

My problem is: both functions are executing for hours (if not days) but
resource consumption is low (I/O, CPU, memory), like 2-5% only. I'm a
bit confused on what's going on there... locks? poor resources
management by Windows? I'm not really sure where the bottleneck might be.

Any hints/recommendations where and how should I look for improvements?

I'm running 8.2 on WinXP.

I'm aware it's kind of hard to say without seeing function's body, but I
thought I can give a try anyway.

Regards,
foo