Re: performance for high-volume log insertion - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Thomas
Subject Re: performance for high-volume log insertion
Date
List pgsql-performance
Kris Jurka wrote on 26.04.2009 19:07:
> Despite the size of the batch passed to the JDBC driver, the driver
> breaks it up into internal sub-batch sizes of 256 to send to the
> server.  It does this to avoid network deadlocks from sending too much
> data to the server without reading any in return.  If the driver was
> written differently it could handle this better and send the full batch
> size, but at the moment that's not possible and we're hoping the gains
> beyond this size aren't too large.

Ah, thanks for the info.
I have seen this behaviour with other DBMS as well.

Going beyond ~200-500 doesn't improve the performance on Oracle or SQL Server as
well.

So I guess PG wouldn't really benefit that much from a different implementation
in the driver :)

Thomas