Re: per db collate syntax - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: per db collate syntax
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jaime Casanova wrote:
> I was trying to create a database and found that we are using
> LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE, why not simply COLLATE and CTYPE?

This was discussed recently, and in fact changed from COLLATE/CTYPE to
LC_COLLATE/LC_CTYPE. The reason is that LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE makes
it more clear that the options set the LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE
environment variables. There is also precedent: the pre-existing initdb  options were called --lc-collate and
--lc-ctype,so the new createdb

options are quite naturally also called --lc-collate and --lc-ctype, and
since they're called that, it would be weird if the CREATE DATABASE
options had different names.