Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!! :) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Held
Subject Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!! :)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Yeah, I agree that the first version of a major release can be a
bit hairy.

> so there are bound to be bugs in their optimizer also,

Well that's like saying there were bound to be bugs in postgres
8.0 ;>

> and I know there are some that will see "the latest and
> greatest", install it and come flying at us when its possible
> that its a bug in the newer GCC itself ...

So just make the build system detect the version number and
compile with -O0 or -O1 for gcc >= 4.0. ;>  Anyway, that's what
I thought the regression tests are for.  Or is the development
team unlikely to do any builds against 4.x for a while?

__
David B. Held
Software Engineer/Array Services Group
200 14th Ave. East,  Sartell, MN 56377