Re: nooby Q: temp tables good for web apps? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kenneth Tilton
Subject Re: nooby Q: temp tables good for web apps?
Date
List pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Kenneth Tilton <kentilton@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>>> You can use a different method if you need a table available to the
>>> same session.  Create a schema based on the session id, and put your
>>> temp tables there, only don't call them temp tables.  You'll either
>>> need to make sure you always clean up your temp schema your session
>>> created or come up with a daemon that comes along every hour or so and
>>> kills off old schemas that aren't in use anymore.
>> I am LMAO because Lisp (my server-side lang) does this to noobs, too: three
>> (at least) ways to do everything. Well, if all things are equal dropping one
>> schema and not kludging up mangled table names has a lot of appeal. Thx.
>
> Schemas, search_path and views together can let you do some pretty
> cool things in terms of integrating external postgresql based apps
> with each other.

Or between XHRs? It just occurred to me that if I go with a schema
instead of temp tables then I do not need to worry about hanging on to a
connection/pgsession, or even worry about routing a web session to the
same process if all state is stored in pg under the session id.

ken *coming up to speed slowly, going to look up search_path*