Re: Needed files - embedded postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Henrik Zagerholm
Subject Re: Needed files - embedded postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
15 dec 2006 kl. 17:40 skrev Chris Browne:

> tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) writes:
>>
>>> ... It is also quite crash resistant with the WAL implementation.
>>
>> One of the reasons it's crash resistant is exactly that it's *not*
>> embedded, and thus not subject to corruption by application-side
>> bugs.
>> That concern is what has caused the developers to have zero interest
>> in creating an embeddable variant.
>
> Except, it appears to me that Henrik is intending to embed it not in
> the sense of being a "shared library with application," but rather in
> being "mostly hidden from users."

Now we are talking :)

> It seems pretty reasonable to me to try to figure out a near-minimal
> footprint for PostgreSQL where, for instance, you might:
>  a) Restrict TZ to GMT, and thereby eliminate most timezone data
>  b) Restrict character encodings to C/SQL_ASCII, so that most of the
>     encoding libraries in $PGHOME/lib/ could go away
I'm using UNICODE but thats a good thing right :)
>  c) Drop pgxs (it's "embedded" - no further components are to be
>     added) and #include files
>
> I'm finding my "make install" of PG 8.2 is ~15.5MB in size on Linux;
> if I trimmed out the above, that would probably cut the size of the
> install roughly in half.
Even though size matters(!) its not that much of an issue on my
system as I'm using 256 MB memory modules :)

I've got it running OK.
Now I just have to figure out how I easily can get libs working. I'm
having some problems with plsql.so and such.

When I'm done I'll probably post it on the wiki somewhere if it wuld
interest anyone.

Cheers,