Re: log shipping from 64 bit linux server to a 32 bit linux server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chander Ganesan
Subject Re: log shipping from 64 bit linux server to a 32 bit linux server
Date
List pgsql-general
Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> I know what you think:-)
>
> Problem is, he asks high availabilty, that means, no SPOF, minimum
> down time. For the purpose, I suppose pgpool-HA(actually
> heartbeat)+pgpool-II+Slony-I might work, but I'm not sure heartbeat
> does work with 32/64bit combo.

Heartbeat does work with 32/64 bit combo.  However, CARP is another
(simpler) option as well.

Additionally, if you were going with that solution, you're likely using
a VIP, so adding the complexity of pgpool isn't really required
either...for better performance you could use pgBouncer (if you really
needed connection pooling).

In any case, your HA solution (Heartbeat/CARP) could definitely trigger
a slony switchover to minimize downtime, but might end up losing some
transactions due to the asynchronous nature of slony.

Though, as others have intimated, the best solution out there is for you
(if you want synchronous HA) is to get another 64 bit system for your
secondary, or even install a 32 bit OS on your 64 bit system, so you
have 2 32 bit systems.  In which case you'd probably want to add DRBD in
to the mix for your active WALs..

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.