Re: cached plan issue in trigger func - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: cached plan issue in trigger func
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> I thought we had fixed this in 8.3:
>>

> I think that behavior is intentional: plancache.c can deal with the plan
> changing internally, but it doesn't expect that its callers could
> survive the plan's argument datatypes changing underneath them.

How do we reconcile that with this advertised feature of 8.3?:

  * Automatically re-plan cached queries when table definitions change    or statistics are updated

How is a user to know when s/he can rely on this and when they can't? I
at least was expecting the plan to be invalidated by the table changes.

cheers

andrew