Re: Have \d show child tables that inherit from the specified parent - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From damien clochard
Subject Re: Have \d show child tables that inherit from the specified parent
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> This one is very basic, it just shows the child tables of a specific
>> table when you type \d <tablename> in psql :
>
> I'm not so jazzed about this, as I work on systems that have literally
> hundreds of child tables.

hi everyone.

Thanks for your comments.

I must admit that i didn't asked myself much questions when i
implemented that feature. As i said i picked that item almost randomly
in the todo list. I choosed to show child table on \d instead \d+ in
order to be consistant with the fact that \d shows the mother of the
specified table.

That being said i recognize that people who have dozens of child tables
might get annoyed by this patch.

Here's 3 ideas that could make things better :

1- When using \d , only show the numbers of child tables

2- Only display the list of child table when \d+ is used. (mode ???)

3- Display the child table names in line, instead of one line per table.

Here's what it would look like :

# \d mother                         Table "public.mother" Column |  Type   |                      Modifiers
--------+---------+----------------------------------------------------- id     | integer | not null default
nextval('mother_id_seq'::regclass)
This table has 5 child tables. Use \d+ to display them.

#\d+ mother                        Table "public.mother" Column |  Type   |                      Modifiers
nextval('mother_id_seq'::regclass)
Child tables : daughter1, daughter2, daughter3, daughter4, daughter5

Does it look better ?

--
damien clochard
dalibo.org | dalibo.com