Re: alter multiple tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: alter multiple tables
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Kodok Marton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have in every table columns like:
> username character varying(20) NOT NULL
>
> I want to extend the length of varchar in all tables.

next time you should probably consider using a domain type
(or stick to text)

> Since I have a lot of tables and mirrored backups, I am wondering if
> there is a way to alter automatically all tables where colname matches
> 'username'
>
> Is there a way to do this?

It should be possible to generate a list of tables either via
query or using pg_dump -L with grep and create SQL based on this
(with a script, unix shell) and execute it against the database.

(Test this of course)

HTH
Tino

Attachment