Re: Imagenes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: Imagenes
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Lius,

Luis Cevallos wrote:
> Saludos Cordiales.
> Mi nombre es Luis Cevallos y tengo muchas dudas de como hacer para
> guardar una imagen desde php hasta una tabla que tiene campo oid no lo
> logro hacer claro estoy usando ADODB pero no se como hacerlo.

it would be easier for us to help you if you could stick to the language
of the page where you subscribed to the mailing list :-) (Unless this
is localized nowadays?) e.g. English :-) Since most of us (including me)
do not understand Spain.

Your question seems to target the ways to store images for your
application. There are several ways to do this which have their
own respective advantages - disadvantages:

- in the database as lo (large object)
   pro: - data store in sync with metadata
        - common backup (yes with some limitations)
        - accessible over common service (e.g. database connection)
   con: - interface to lo a little more complicated and not
          always well supported
        - backup more difficult
        - large binary data over database connection

- in the database as raw
   pro: - data store in sync with metadata
        - common backup
        - accessible over common service (e.g. database connection)
        - easy access via sql
   con: - large binary data over database connection
        - file size limit of about 2G

- in the filesystem, metadata (e.g. location) in database
   pro: - easy to implement
        - high troughput to and from fileystem
        - possible to deliver via FS access, e.g. with apache
   con: - backup needs to take care of the file system
        - overwrite and locking needs to be carefully considered
        - not accessible from single connection (extra service to
          access the files needed)
        - can easily get out of sync with the database (metadata w/o
          file or vice versa)

HTH
Tino

Attachment