Re: correct config (and syntax) for remote access - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Bob McConnell
Subject Re: correct config (and syntax) for remote access
Date
List pgsql-novice
P Kapat wrote:
> Host A (IP : 1.2.3.4) has the 8.1.11 postgress server running. I want
> to set it up so that I can connect from Host B (IP 5.6.7.8).
>
> Relevant lines from /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf (on host A)
> local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser
> local   all         all                               ident sameuser
> host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
> host    all         foouser      5.6.7.8/32       md5
>
> Relevant lines form /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf (on host A):
> listen_addresses = 'localhost,5.6.7.8'
>
> Will this work? The firewall has 5432 port open for connection between A and B.

Not quite. The listen_addresses should be 'localhost,1.2.3.4'. localhost
is 127.0.0.1, which can be reached by any process on that machine. The
other address is the TCP/IP address for the interface you want postgres
to receive connections on. It has to be an address on the same computer
as your server. i.e. one that shows up when you run 'ifconfig' on that
box. It is probably easier to just use '*' unless you have multiple
network interfaces.

Don't forget to restart the server after you change those files.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP