Re: PostgreSQL connect error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: PostgreSQL connect error
Date
List pgsql-general
devi wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> As john suggested, i tried setting up the env .. but that dosen't help
> out. I tried with IP, instead of localhost in pg_hba.conf.. just trail &
> error approach...

There is no need to use trial and error - this is covered in the manuals:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/client-authentication.html

> Now.. i'm getting the error as "FATAL:  role "apache" does not exist.."..
>
> Can U help me out here!!

You're trying to connect with a username of "apache" and you don't have
that set up in the database.

Stop. Make a good hot cup of tea/coffee and read through the section of
the manual mentioned above. Disable access from the internet
(listen_addresses) and set up "trust" access as a first step.

Connect as the postgres user (from psql), add a new database user (e.g.
"test") with a password (see the manuals for details). Create a database
owned by them. Now try logging in as that user - no password should be
necessary.

Edit the pg_hba.conf to require passwords for all users apart from
"postgres" which you can leave as "ident". Restart the postgresql server
and try reconnecting as your test user. You should now need a password.

If all that's working, try connecting as your test user from php. Don't
forget to check result codes when you connect to the database or send a
query etc.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd