Re: Some notes on pgAdmin - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Some notes on pgAdmin
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:38 AM, Euler Taveira de Oliveira
> <euler@timbira.com> wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander escreveu:
>>> I'm not sure it's worth going over the whole code with pgindent or
>>> similar though - it makes it so much harder to backtrack the code in
>>> svn. Especially since we haven't had a standard before, it'll likely
>>> touch way too much code.
>
> 4 spaces has been the unofficial standard for years, and I a) bleat if
> I see a patch with tabs (I think I did to Chuck actually) and b) fix
> them if I spot them (usually if I'm editing in vim).

Ok.

>> What about do it after next release? Looking at the source code, almost
>> everything uses 4 spaces per level so we could go through this way.
>
> I'm not convinced it would make so much difference that we'd have
> trouble tracing back SVN history - I'd probably start with pgagent
> anyway and see how that went.

The point is, you kill the ability to do "svn blame".

And doing a diff with a revision beyond when you did the indent run,
will show lots of irrelevant stuff. You can ignore whitespace for tihs
part (not the one above afaik), but not things like brace-changes.

> What I'm less convinced about is that pgindent will know how to format
> C++ properly, though I'm sure there will be other tools that could do
> the job.

yeah, I doubt it'll do it right - I read you as "a tool similar to it".
But if we want to do it, it's worth seeing if there's a switch somewhere
for pgindent (which just runs indent underneath iirc)

//Magnus