Re: VACUUM - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: VACUUM
Date
List pgsql-general
Anderson dos Santos Donda wrote:
> Anyone can explain this:
>
> INFO:  free space map contains 5848 pages in 5000 relations
> DETAIL:  A total of 83728 page slots are in use (including overhead).
> 83728 page slots are required to track all free space.
> Current limits are:  153600 page slots, 5000 relations, using 1228 kB.
> NOTICE:  max_fsm_relations(5000) equals the number of relations checked
>

> I increase the relations but doesn't work... and if a increase more
> than 7000, postgre doesn't work because the shared memory kernel...
>
> What I do?

you probably have to increase the SHMMAX in the kernel, how you do this
depends on the OS and distribution.

for instance...  in a Red Hat style linux distribution,
/etc/sysctl.conf, add a line...

    kernel.shmmax = 500000000

(thats about 500MB, the value you use should be appropriate for the
system... I generally allow around 1/2 of physical ram for this, this is
just a limit, and won't have any impact if you don't actually use this much)

on a older Solaris version, in /etc/system

    set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=500000000

in a newer solaris system...  execute the command...

 # projadd -U postgres -c "PostgreSQL Server" \
    -K "project.max-shm-memory=(priv,500MB,deny)" \
    postgresql

which sets that limit just for processes running as the postgres user
rather than globally.