Re: problem with single quote in postgres 8.3.5 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject Re: problem with single quote in postgres 8.3.5
Date
List pgsql-general
On 07/03/2009 13:53, hugocoolens wrote:
> I have a little php-script to  help me learn foreign languages
> In my php-code I have the following line:
> $query="update wordlist set known=true where dutch='".$preceding."'";
>
> This worked fine on a system running postgres 8.1, however in version
> 8.3.5 something changed which makes records with the dutch-field
> containing single quotes unfindable. You could argue that it's a bad
> practice to include records with single quotes in a field but in
> language related applications it's unavoidable as single quotes are
> used and escaping every single quote when adding data to the database
> is something you can't ask the user.
>
> example of a dutch field which causes the problem: hij zei: 'het is
> waar'
>
> I guess there must be a way to escape the single quotes automatically
> without rebuilding the database

I'm not completely sure what you're looking for, but do you know the PHP
function pg_escape_string()? -

  $query = "update wordlist set known=true where dutch='"
    . pg_escape_string($preceding) . "'";

HTH,

Ray.

rod@iol.ie