Re: libxml incompatibility - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: libxml incompatibility
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Holger Hoffstaette wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 14:32:25 -0600, Kenneth Marshall wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 02:58:30PM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I discovered this a few weeks ago. It looks like libxml is not
>>> reentrant, so for perl you need to use some other XML library. Very
>>> annoying.
>>>

>> Ugh! That is worse than a simple library link incompatibility.
>>

> http://www.nabble.com/New-libxml-which-is-reentrant---to18329452.html
>
> Seems to me that Perl (?) is calling functions it is not supposed to call
> - I'm guessing due to assumptions about mismatching lifecycles. The
> parsing functions themselves are supposedly reentrant.

Maybe someone can trace the libxml calls ... not sure how exactly ...
given Alvaro's example, it doesn't seem likely to me that this is due to
a call to xmlCleanupParser(), but maybe the perl code invokes by simply
doing "use XML::LibXML;" calls that for some perverse reason.

My interest wasn't so high that I wanted to spend a lot of time on it.
If it didn't work I was just going to move on.

cheers

andrew