Re: Expanding the length of a VARCHAR column should not induce a table rewrite - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Expanding the length of a VARCHAR column should not induce a table rewrite
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Took bugs list off, as this is clearly not a bug.
>>> Matteo Beccati <php@beccati.com> wrote:
> I recently had a similar problem when I added some domains to the
> application. ALTER TABLE ... TYPE varchar_dom was leading to a full
> table rewrite even though the underlying type definition were
exactly
> the same (i.e. varchar(64)). I can live with it, but I suppose this
fix
> might be related to the varlen one.
Been there.  We also occasionally increase the length of a
verchar-based domain.  The process could be made faster and more
convenient by avoiding rewrites when possible.  On particularly large
tables I've sometimes ventured into direct updates to the system
tables for these.
-Kevin