Re: = or LIKE ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jesper Krogh
Subject Re: = or LIKE ?
Date
Re: = or LIKE ?  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
List pgsql-sql
Tom Lane wrote:
> Jesper Krogh <jesper@krogh.cc> writes:
>> Shouldnt the like operator do the same as the = if there occours no
>> wildcards and stuff in the string?
>
> If there are also no escape characters, then yeah.
>
> FWIW, 8.4 will complain about this case:
>
> regression=# select E'\\' like E'\\';
> ERROR:  LIKE pattern must not end with escape character

So I cannot rely on the like operator to behave correct if I'd like to
compare strings with backslashes (e.g. filepaths from MS Windows
filesystems)?

I actually get the same if it doesnt end with the slashes:
testdb=# select E'\\t' like E'\\t'; ?column?
(1 row)

testdb=# select E'\\t' = E'\\t'; ?column?
(1 row)

--
Jesper