"Existing installation" when there should be none - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Wm.A.Stafford
Subject "Existing installation" when there should be none
Date
List pgsql-novice
I'm trying to install PostgreSQL on a WindowsXP machine that once had a
PostgreSQL 8.3 installation.  As far as I could tell the original
installation was removed, there is no PostgreSQL directory and nothing
that looks like a Postgres file.  However, when I try to do an install I
get a popup with the message:
An existing PostgreSQL installation has been found at
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3.  This installation will be
upgraded.

There is no such directory.  PostgreSQL8.3 does not show up on the
currently installed programs list.

Do I need to do some sort of PostgreSQL specific uninstall?

-=beeky