Re: encoding of PostgreSQL messages - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hiroshi Inoue
Subject Re: encoding of PostgreSQL messages
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> Can someone comment on this?
>
>> Looks like a horrible hack to me.  Recoding stuff to the client encoding
>> in the server outside the existing recoding mechanism looks pretty evil
>> to me.  Plus, it does not address the problem of what happens to
>> messages sent before this, it just moves the point of "before" a bit
>> earlier for some special cases.
>
>> I think we have discussed more proper solutions earlier in this thread.
>>   IMO the best approach would be for the client to include the client
>> encoding in the startup package.
>
> Huh?  Clients already do that (or at least some are capable of it,
> including libpq).

Yes the psqlodbc driver has done it because protocol 3 allowed it
 from the first.

> The hard problems are (1) there's still a "before",

Yes but isn't it an improvement that properly localized password error
 or no database error etc can be seen? Currently I see unreadable
error messages for those cases via psqlodbc driver.  The attatched
patch in my previous posting is an example to solve the problem.

regards,
Hirosh Inoue