Should database = all in pg_hba.conf match a replication connection? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Should database = all in pg_hba.conf match a replication connection?
Date
Re: Should database = all in pg_hba.conf match a replication connection?  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Re: Should database = all in pg_hba.conf match a replication connection?  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
I spent a fair amount of time just now being confused about why
pg_hba.conf restrictions on replication connections didn't seem to be
getting enforced.  After looking at the code, I realize that my entry
with database = "replication" was indeed getting rejected as not
matching, but then the hba code was falling through and matching an
entry with database = "all".  This is not the behavior I expected after
looking at the docs; the docs seem to imply that SR connections must
match an explicit replication entry in pg_hba.conf in order to succeed.

Should we change this?  It seems to me to be a good thing on security
grounds if replication connections can't be made through a generic
pg_hba entry.  If we don't change it, the docs need some adjustment.