Re: Pet Peeves? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Pet Peeves?
Date
List pgsql-general
Gregory Stark wrote:
> One thing which has *not* been mentioned which i find positively shocking is
> VACUUM. This was once our single biggest source of user complaints. Between
> Autovacuum improvements and HOT previously and the free space map in 8.4 the
> situation will be much improved.

The other 2 features that made VACUUM much less painful for me was
vacuum_cost_delay (8.0?) and allowing concurrent GiST indexes (8.1?).

Before those features were in, VACUUM could choke even a very
lightly loaded moderately large database for arbitrarily long times.

I guess I'd still like some more convenient tuning of autovacuum (perhaps
specifying X mbps disk I/O); but I'd say vacuum fell off my pet-peeve list
around the 8.1 timeframe.