Re: parallel restore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: parallel restore
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Latest patch is attached.
>>

> Starting to look at this now.

Excellent!

> One thing that is bothering me is that
> if the connection parameters are such as to cause prompts for passwords,
> it's going to be broken beyond usability (multiple threads all trying
> to read the terminal at once).  Is there anything we can do about that?
> If not, we've at least got to warn people to avoid it in the manual.

I thought I had put in changes to cache the password, so you shouldn't
get multiple prompts. That's one reason that we make sure we connect in
the main thread before we ever fork/spawn children.

> Also, how does this interact with single_txn mode?  I suspect that's
> just not very sane at all and we should forbid the combination.

Yes. I thought I had done that too, will check.

cheers

andrew