Re: India time zone missing - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: India time zone missing
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Sanjay" <sbanerji@bom.direm.com> writes:
> The India Time Zone (IST) which is 5:30 + ahead of UST / GMT is not availab=
> le in PostgreSQL.

Looks like the Israelis beat you to it:

    {"ist", TZ, POS(8)},        /* Israel */

This isn't the first such conflict we've heard about.  I suppose the
eventual solution will be to remove the built-in table of timezone names
in favor of a configuration file that defines the timezones to be used,
so that people could easily customize the zone names for local use.
This is not very high on the to-do list of any of the key developers,
however.  In the meantime you could just hack the timezone table (look
in src/backend/utils/adt/datetime.c).

> Also, India specific built in conversions (e.g. utf_8_to_euc_jp) for Indian=
>  languages like Hindi, Tamil, etc. seem to be missing.

Want to contribute them?

            regards, tom lane