Re: Pet Peeves? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Pet Peeves?
Date
List pgsql-general
Gregory Stark wrote:
> I'm putting together a talk on "PostgreSQL Pet Peeves" for discussion at
> FOSDEM 2009 this year. I have a pretty good idea what some them are of course,

* The capitalization that makes everyone (customers, execs, etc) I introduce
  it to parse the name as Postgre-SQL.

* Last I checked, postgres keeps my laptop's hard drive spinning all the time
  by doing some I/O even when "totally idle".  For that matter, waking
  up the CPUs a few times a second too.

* pgfoundry - which was once described on the mailinglists as
  the "kiss of death" for projects.   Yes, I understand why it is
  what it is; but it's still a pet-peeve.   I can't even put my finger
  on what's annoying about it; but it is.

* Upgrades involving databases with extra modules like postgis.
  $ sh utils/postgis_restore.pl lwpostgis.sql newdb olddb.dump -E=UNICODE

* Finding extensions I might want.  For example:
  - Surely someone wrote a good count(*)-replacement-trigger before.
    Now where can I find one?  Searching for "count" on pgfoundry
    doesn't help me.   Searching varlena genralbits find shows me
    a simple one, but IIRC is lacking when it comes to concurrency.
    Googling just gets me lots of "read the archives" postings in
    the archives.