Re: I need some magical advice - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Terry Fielder
Subject Re: I need some magical advice
Date
List pgsql-sql
The trick is to do a "GROUP BY" on your identifier (name)
and then use a HAVING clause to see if the count is more then 1.

NOTE: You likely need a query that does subqueries that use group by
considering you want to ignore SOME of the records (ie one per group if
that group does not have a status 1 record) but not others (update all
in the group if the group has a status 1 record).

Hopefully that's enough of a hint, but if not when I get a moment I can
spell it out in more detail.

NOTE: I recommend running a SELECT first, rather then an UPDATE, so you
can see what WOULD be updated and verify your query is going to do what
you want before you clobber data.
(or use a transaction, but if its a live database you don't want a
transaction around locking users out)

Terry

Terry Fielder
terry@greatgulfhomes.com
Associate Director Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
Fax: (416) 441-9085