Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From KaiGai Kohei
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> This seems to me to be exactly parallel to deciding that SELinux should
>> control only table/column permissions within SQL; an approach that would
>> be enormously less controversial, less expensive, and more reliable than
>> what SEPostgres tries to do.
>>

> seems that the controversial part of sepgsql is row level permissions,
> can we try to commit (obviously with good revision and test) the
> table/column privileges part of that patch?

Actually, it is already done.
http://code.google.com/p/sepgsql/source/browse/trunk/sepgsql/src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c#1242
http://code.google.com/p/sepgsql/source/browse/trunk/sepgsql/src/backend/security/sepgsql/permissions.c#518

Its original purpose is different, to reduce storage consumption.
But it can be a point of compromise.
See, http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/492691A8.8030103@ak.jp.nec.com

Is it a reasonable option to allow users to turn on/off?
I can add a documentation about its background and tradeoffs,
for user's correct decision.

Thanks,

--
OSS Platform Development Division, NEC