Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> That's modest. I've talked to several oracle and db2 shops that want a standby
> for reporting that has relatively easy setup/maintenance (handling ddl is a
> big part of this) and the HS feature your working on will give them something
> as good as what they are getting now. So yeah, HS appeals to future users as
> well.

I've talked to some of my clients, and while they *want* synch or
near-synch HS, even slow HS is useful to them *now*.

One client is planning on deploying a rather complex FS cloning
infrastructure just to have a bunch of reporting, testing and read-only
search databases they need.  They'd be thrilled with an HS feature which
produced DBs which were an hour out of date (or even 6 hours out of
date), but ran read-only queries.

--Josh.