Re: pg_upgrade project status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: pg_upgrade project status
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> Magnus Hagander píše v út 27. 01. 2009 v 15:54 +0100:
>
>> I have a hard time thinking that we'll have wasted a lot of time on
>> first doing a perl implementation if we have to rewrite it in C later.
>> The other way around would be a waste though. The amount of time spent
>> on the perl implementation I expect to be a *lot* less than the
>> combination of thinking up the *way* to do it in general and the C
>> implementation time.
>
> Agree with Magnus. I'm happy with korn shell for now :-). And we need
> better solution anyway for future releases. Current approach does not
> support e.g. dropped column.

FWIW, pg-migrator is written in C, and last I looked it's roughly on par
feature-wise. Perhaps Zdenek can list what exactly the differences are,
so that we can figure out how much effort it would be to just fill the
gaps in pg-migrator.