Re: pg_upgrade project status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: pg_upgrade project status
Date
List pgsql-hackers

>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg00886.php
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-01/msg02031.php
>>>
>>> This patch is mandatory for page online conversion and MUST TO be part
>>> of postgreSQL 8.4. if not ... then we will be at the beginning next
>>> year.
>>>
>>> I sent updated version today.
>> I thought we pretty much had agreement that space reservation was not
>> a good solution to anything, although I admit I'm not quite clear on
>> what alternative was being proposed.
>
> Maybe I miss something, but space reservation was selected as a best
> way. Please, Could you point me related mailing thread?

Space reservation is the way to go, but I remain of the opinion that
trying to predict the future is futile. When we know what we need (=
around the beginning of 8.5 beta), we can backpatch a patch to reserve
the needed amount of space on pages. It has to be dead simple to
consider applying it to a stable branch, but something like "reserve X
bytes for heap pages and Y bytes for b-tree pages if pre_upgrade_mode
GUC is set" should be OK. And we don't want to do anything more
complicated than that anyway before we know what we need.

(http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/49425D07.6030701@enterprisedb.com)