Re: pg_upgrade project status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pg_upgrade project status
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Harald Armin Massa wrote:
>> I think it's fairly easy to install Perl on Windows actually.  It
>> doesn't sound too onerous a requirement if you want in-place upgrade;
>> actually it looks a very reasonable one.
>>
>> Much more reasonable than Korn shell in any case (or any shell for that
>> matter; I think anything is going to be more of a potentially painful
>> platform dependency than Perl).
>>

> May I humbly recommend to rewrite in Python? That should be as
> difficult / easy as PERL, AND there is a very robust py2exe
> implementation, which allows to create a single .exe file which
> contains everything.
>
> Python is present on all Linux, Windows users are totally comfortable
> with .exe files.

No, I don't think so ;-) Without getting into language wars, Perl is
already our de facto cross-platform scripting tool. We don't need to be
adding extra knowledge requirements to the project, nor extra build
requirements (right now, perl is already required for building from
source, or when building with MSVC, or when running a buildfarm animal)

cheers

andrew