Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Updatable views is reverted.  I agree that we should reject the rest and
>> prepare a release.

> That will send a fine message to those companies that have sponsored
> development work - that we will arbitrarily reject large patches that
> have been worked on following the procedures that we require.

"defer to 8.5" would have been better phraseology than "reject",
no doubt.

> We must at least have the solid belief (of a committer that that has
> done a proper review) that a patch cannot be polished in an
> appropriate timeframe,

I already pointed out some pretty serious problems with the updatable
views patch.  Are you claiming they are trivial to fix?