Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jaime, Bernd,

> having said that, i don't think that inventing new syntax is the way
> to go... a reloption seems better (thinking a little more, it could be
> a problem if the user changes the reloptions of an already created
> view)

There's also the issue with backup/restore: we need some kind of syntax
for restoring a read-only view which doesn't depend on command ordering.  So we need a ALTER VIEW SET READ ONLY or
similar.

Overall, I'm starting to think there's a lot of syntax and issues that
need to be worked out, and I'm thinking it's too late in the cycle to do
that for 8.4.

--Josh