Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)
Date
Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 12:06 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Any release with big
> features in it will take longer, whether you wait a year, or not.

Well, big features that land early in the release cycle don't delay the
release. Just the ones that are submitted in the last commit fest.

> I think the choice here is currently between features or release
> schedule, but we could look at things differently and generate some
> other options.

Yeah, that's the tradeoff. features vs. release schedule. I don't see
how else you could look at things.

> What would our users want?

I'm sure it depends on the user. Users that are more interested in the
features we already have in the bag like window functions and
WITH-clause, will obviously prefer to release earlier without hot
standby. And users that want hot standby (or SE-postgresql) will prefer
to delay the release and have those features included.

I don't personally have an opinion, because I don't work with any
real-world databases. It's a tradeoff and both options seem good to me.
I'm going to stick around and keep reviewing Hot Standby as long as it
takes, and when it's ready I can commit it to either 8.4 or 8.5. It's
the same amount of work for me either way.

There's still a list of non-resolved issues that I estimate will take
about two weeks to address. And there's a good possibility that new
issues arise, which require yet more time.