Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> If we want to ensure that 8.5 development opens soon, what we have to
> do is reject those two patches, revert updatable views, and finish up
> the other stuff (which is all small and could likely be dealt with in
> a week or two).  That puts us in position to go beta by perhaps
> mid-February with release perhaps on May 1.  If we don't, I hereby
> predict that 8.4 release will not happen before September.  Trying to
> deal with those late, large features will add *at least* one more
> month to commitfest and *at least* one more month to beta (you think
> they'll be bug-free?).

> As our new president has been reminding us, it's time to start making
> hard choices.

We're clearly ahead of where we were in 8.3. Any release with big
features in it will take longer, whether you wait a year, or not.

I think the choice here is currently between features or release
schedule, but we could look at things differently and generate some
other options.

What would our users want?